Amanda-Users

RE: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip

2003-05-09 14:51:08
Subject: RE: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip
From: "Urie, Todd" <TUrie AT trueposition DOT com>
To: "'Andrew A. Raines'" <drew AT phg.mc.vanderbilt DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 14:47:06 -0400
First, the disclaimer, I haven't tried either method below, these are just
possible solutions that came to mind.  Possibilities:

1. The E450 has 2 disk slots, if possible, instead of copying and reburning
the Solaris CD, try installing a disk with 'gzip' on it in the 2nd slot and
mounting the disk under single user mode.  Given that most people don't have
built disks sitting around waiting for a time like this, you have 2 options
to do this: a. Steal one from an 'unimportant' system; b. take a spare disk
and format / 'newfs' it then copy 'gzip' on another system.  Might be faster
than copying everything to another system off the CD and adding gzip then
reburning the CD.

2. If you have the spare emtpy disk to do #1, you might also consider
restoring from tape to a disk using 'dd' then taking that disk to another
system that has 'gzip' and uncompressing it to the same disk.  Then take
that disk and put back into the broke system along with the system disk onto
which you want to restore the data then run 'ufsrestore' and specify the
newly created, uncompressed disk file instead of stdout.

Just some random thoughts.

Todd Urie