Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip

2003-05-09 14:31:53
Subject: Re: Solaris bootstrap failing without gzip
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Andrew A. Raines" <drew AT phg.mc.vanderbilt DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 14:28:17 -0400
On Fri May 9 2003 14:11, Andrew A. Raines wrote:
>I'm trying to restore / and /usr from tape.  My AMANDA printout
>tells me to do:
>
>   dd if=/dev/rmt/0n bs=32k skip=1 | /gzip -cd | ufsrestore -if -
>
>That's dandy, and I use it all the time for other filesystems.
>However, because it's the system drive that failed in my E450, I'm
>in single-user mode from the Solaris CD.  There ain't no gzip.
>There ain't no amrestore.
>
>Every time I run this:
>
>   # mt rewind
>   # mt fsf 5
>   # dd if=/dev/rmt/0n bs=32k skip=1 | ufsrestore -rvf -
>
>I get ``Volume not in dump format.''  That doesn't really surprise
>me, because the data is compressed on disk and must be
> uncompressed before ufsrestore can ``understand'' it.
>
>So my question is, what can I do?  I've never had to bootstrap a
>system from tape like this.
>
>I would really appreciate any suggestions.  This is an extremely
>critical system.

Well, it would take some time Andrew, but I think I'd find another
system with a burner, and copy that cd off, add the stuff you need
in the right directories, and remake it.  Or you might be able to
burn a seperate one, hookup and mount a second cd drive with the
utilities needed on it.  Can you get the networking up from that
cd?, maybe you could access the gzip on another machine?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: