Amanda-Users

Re: How to do differential backup with amanda?

2003-05-09 15:55:58
Subject: Re: How to do differential backup with amanda?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Per Nothagen <per AT triacon DOT se>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:52:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 9 May 2003 at 4:55pm, Per Nothagen wrote

> I would like to know how to configure Amanda to do differential backup,
> that is make full backups once every week or so and then let the daily
> backup only backup changes since the last full backup. I have read the man
> pages carefully without success.
>
> I would like to run one configuration for the full backup and another for
> the differential so that I can decide when to do the full backup. I don't
> see a problem with that, I can figure that out my self.

The question is, why?  Amanda can schedule this all quite well, and it's a
lot less effort on your part to let it handle this.

> The problem I have is that I have not found how I shall tell Amanda that it
> shall do the level 1 dump required for the differential run. The only way I
> have found is to set bumpdays to a high value thus telling Amanda to make
> many dumps at the same level but I feel that I can not trust that stays at
> level 1. It would feel much safer if I could set "dumplevel 1" in the
> configuration script. Is there a way to do something equivalent?

Look at the 'nofull' and 'incronly' dump strategies in the example
amanda.conf.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering