Amanda-Users

Re: How to do differential backup with amanda?

2003-05-09 17:21:11
Subject: Re: How to do differential backup with amanda?
From: "Wojciech Jedliczka" <wj AT 3v DOT pl>
To: "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 23:14:18 +0200
Joshua,
Forget for a moment a typical OS filesystem and users' data, please.

I was writing about pure data filesystem, where server is creating
thousands of files (~5000), several GB quantity daily (~50GB). Server has
a set of disks (an array), let say 500 GB. The set of disks works as a
circular buffer - if there is no spare place for a fresh part of data, the
oldest
file is deleted. If you would like to have an access to the past 3 months
of data, you need to backup the server's HDD into tapes using differential
strategy only. If Amanda does a level 0 backup, it means that she needs
a 500GB dump. So, that is why I wrote that level 0 should never be done.

> On Fri, 9 May 2003 at 10:17pm, Wojciech Jedliczka wrote
>
> > > Look at the 'nofull' and 'incronly' dump strategies in the example
> > > amanda.conf.
> >
> > Unfortunately 'incronly' strategy will stop at level 9.
>
> "Only" level 9?!  At that point, you're going to need to read the backups
> off *10* tapes to get your whole filesystem back.  Thanks, but no
> thanks...

I have tried to use 'incronly' strategy to provide described above
functionality
and I noticed that Amanda stops at level 9. I need an 'incremental only
forever'
strategy for such purpose. In addition, when recovering I do not need a
whole
filesystem but chosen file/files only. So, every restore needs 1 or maximum
2 tapes only regardless of level's number. In fact, Amanda was not designed
for such backup strategy and she must do a level 0 backup from time to time

WJ