Amanda-Users

How to do differential backup with amanda?

2003-05-09 11:11:54
Subject: How to do differential backup with amanda?
From: Per Nothagen <per AT triacon DOT se>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:55:23 +0200
I would like to know how to configure Amanda to do differential backup, that is make full backups once every week or so and then let the daily backup only backup changes since the last full backup. I have read the man pages carefully without success.

I would like to run one configuration for the full backup and another for the differential so that I can decide when to do the full backup. I don't see a problem with that, I can figure that out my self.

The problem I have is that I have not found how I shall tell Amanda that it shall do the level 1 dump required for the differential run. The only way I have found is to set bumpdays to a high value thus telling Amanda to make many dumps at the same level but I feel that I can not trust that stays at level 1. It would feel much safer if I could set "dumplevel 1" in the configuration script. Is there a way to do something equivalent?

Thanks,
Per Nothagen