Amanda-Users

RE: Pornography

2003-03-20 14:57:03
Subject: RE: Pornography
From: "Carsten P. Gehrke" <Carsten AT RollingHorse DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:13:18 -0800
One of the things that might help is to limit majordomo's who access to list members. I have tried this from a yahoo account, majordomo AT amanda DOT org is happy to supply me with a list of all subscribers to the amanda-users list. I suppose it would do so for the other lists as well. I see no reason why anyone should get the list of subscribers, especially not someone who does not even subscribe. I speak from experience; I once set up a list without restricting who-access for a company-internal list, and that list got spammed. No one on the outside could subscribe, but they could get the list of subscribers.

BTW, this is my first post to this list, so my e-mail address would probably not have been in any archive. And yes, I too I noticed a marked increase in all kinds of spam, even in Turkish (which I do not understand, but can identify) since I subscribed to this list.

So, please deny who-access, at least to those not on the list. It might help reduce spam, at least for new subscribers. Those who have previously subscribed are probably in the spammers' databases already...

Thank you,
Carsten