Amanda-Users

Re: HP C7200 medium changer

2003-03-20 14:59:18
Subject: Re: HP C7200 medium changer
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Mats Blomstrand <mats.blomstrand AT htu DOT se>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:53:37 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 at 6:07pm, Mats Blomstrand wrote

> I have a HP C7200 (Dell powervault 128T) medium changer that i cant figure
> out how to talk to.  I have read the chg-scsi instructions but i havent
> managed
> to understand what to do other than the "big-picture". That doesnt help when
> it comes to details (the devil is in the details, someone wise said :) ).
>
> What device should i specify?
>
> Here is the systems view of the devices.
>       bash$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>       Attached devices:
>       Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>         Vendor: HP       Model: C7200            Rev: 140D
>         Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>       Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>         Vendor: HP       Model: Ultrium 1-SCSI   Rev: E24V
>         Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>
> Or rather i should ask: How should i create the device?
>
> Background-info: First time amanda user, Intel PC, RH7.2

The devices are already there, you just need to know which ones they are.
Changers are access as sg devices -- yours will be /dev/sg0 (it's the
first SCSI device).  Your tape drive is /dev/nst0.

Not having used chg-scsi, I'd recommend that you may want to check out
chg-zd-mtx.  You'll need mtx, available from <http://mtx.badtux.net/>.
I found it very easy to set up following the instructions in the
chg-zd-mtx script itself.

Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain