Amanda-Users

Re: question

2003-01-29 20:34:46
Subject: Re: question
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:59:40 -0500
On Wednesday 29 January 2003 17:12, David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com wrote:
>I got the error when ran amdump:
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  hostcat        /dev/ida/c0d0p2 lev 0 FAILED [dump larger than
> tape, but cannot incremental dump new disk]
>  planner: FATAL cannot fit anything on tape, bailing out
>STATISTICS: ...
>
>Any suggestion?

It sounds like you are useing 'dump' not tar.  In event the
filesystem named is in fact bigger than a tape, then you must
switch to tar, and describe that particular filesystem as a set of
one more level deeper subdirs in you disklist file, in the form of
FQDNs prefereably.  Amanda cannot span a single dumpfile (or
tarfile for that matter) across multiple tapes, so you will need to
make them tarfiles instead, which can be made smaller than a tape
by the above subdir nameing convention.

Here is a snippet of my disklist to show what I mean:

coyote  /usr/bin        root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/dlds       root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/games      root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/gene       comp-root-tar   2
coyote  /usr/i386-glibc21-linux root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/include    comp-root-tar   2
coyote  /usr/kerberos   root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/lib        comp-root-tar   2
coyote  /usr/libexec    comp-root-tar   2
# the "amanda" directories below will be missed due to file locks
# so back them up seperately after amdump is finished and
# the locks have been removed, I use a seperate script for that
coyote  /usr/local      comp-root-tar   2
coyote  /usr/man        root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/music      root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/pix        root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/sbin       root-tar        2
coyote  /usr/share      comp-root-tar   2
coyote  /usr/src        comp-root-tar   2
coyote  /usr/X11R6      comp-root-tar   2

I personally like to see the tarfiles no bigger than 1/4 of a tape
because if it has to reach for the next tape, less space is wasted
on the first tape, but thats just a personal preference. YMMV of
course.  I also sort bigger files first for the same reason.

The '2' is the spindle number, and helps to keep amanda from
thrashing a drive by haveing two proccesses fighting over access to
one disk.  I have 2 physical drives in this machine, and /usr is on
the second drive.

You can also see that I control the compression with choice of
dumptype, leaving those that won't compress alone.

HTH

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M