Amanda-Users

Re: Strange dumps - "file changed as we read it"

2003-01-05 01:54:39
Subject: Re: Strange dumps - "file changed as we read it"
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "C. Bensend" <benny AT bennyvision DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 01:22:49 -0500
On Sunday 05 January 2003 00:24, C. Bensend wrote:
>Comments inline.
>
>On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 06:45:51PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I've been told, and have repeated here, that the mtimes of a
>> file are not supported by samba because they are not supported
>> by the underlying (usually vfat) file system.  So apparently,
>> some dummy value gets plugged into that field, and if it
>> changes, you get the message.
>
>Hey Gene,
>
>       Actually, this is an ffs (native OpenBSD) partition.

ffs?  That sounds like the amiga FastFileSystem. :-) Which had a few
gotchas from time to time, so a lot of us wound up using
SmartFileSyetm, a major step forward.   Not of course germain here.

>> In a roundabout way, this also explains why a samba share will
>> often get a level 1 that looks like a level 0 sizewise.  I also
>> have one non-samba, small dos partition for holding bios flash
>> images and such, and it gets a full every night, apparently for
>> this same reason.  Minor detail in that case as its less than 20
>> megs.
>>
>> This to me, if its all true, is the one major achilles heel of
>> samba.
>>
>> I keep my music on an ext3 partition :-)
>
>       I can easily blame Samba; I think it's a reasonable assumption
>to say that Samba is "touching" the files somehow.  However, that
> goes right out the door, when I add that this server has _three_
> other Samba shares, on the same type of filesystem, that do _not_
> have this annoyance.  Now, how do we explain THAT?

Good question.  My memory has cleared up enough to be able to state
that it was Andrew Tridgell (spelling?) who wrote samba in the
first place who made that statement in an old faq.

I get around that problem here with the use of an extra directory on
one of the drives here that has an rsync'd image of the stuff on
the other machine I use mainly for a firewall that I would normally
use samba for the backup data transport protocol.  rsync does not
seem to suffer from this foible.  cron fires off that script about
half an hour ahead of amanda.  So in fact I only backup this
machine as far as the entries in the disklist are concerned, but
that includes the images of the other machine.

If you have the space, and rsync can run on the bsd box (it should)
then you may want to consider that alternative method.

>       Thanks very much for your email...  I'd appreciate any further
>thoughts.  :)  This is very perplexing.
>
>Benny

>"Discharge of a nuclear weapon shall be deemed a warlike act,
>even if accidental."       -- My homeowners insurance policy

Chuckle...
No codicile about who sets it off?  I think I'd find a new insurer.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M