Amanda-Users

Strange dumps - "file changed as we read it"

2003-01-04 14:54:44
Subject: Strange dumps - "file changed as we read it"
From: "C. Bensend" <benny AT bennyvision DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:15:18 -0600
Hey folks,

        I'm having an odd problem with one of my backup clients.
Every single night (I back up nightly), one particular partition
ends up with a "STRANGE" report, saying that a file (pick a file,
any file) has changed while it was being read.

The stats:

Client:         OpenBSD 3.2-STABLE
Server:         OpenBSD 3.2-STABLE
Amanda:         2.4.2p2 from OpenBSD ports tree, -STABLE branch
Partition:      /mp3, accessible via Samba for my local LAN,
                mode 0775

        This partition, obviously, holds my MP3's for my listening
pleasure.  I've gone to an awful lot of work to rip and encode these
things, so I'd like to make sure they're backed up.  I'm just having
a hard time figuring out why, on this particular partition, every
night a "file changed while it was being read."

        Could this be Samba?  The timestamps on said files aren't
changing.  Last night, the file that "changed" wasn't even being
accessed - I didn't even have a Windows machine on the LAN!  And
before you ask, no other machine was accessing it either.  :)

        Thoughts?  While this is just a minor annoyance, it pains me
to not understand why this is happening.  I'd appreciate any help
you folks could give me.

Benny

"Discharge of a nuclear weapon shall be deemed a warlike act,
even if accidental."       -- My homeowners insurance policy