Amanda-Users

Re: Upgrade to 2.4.3 has hiccup

2003-01-05 01:39:08
Subject: Re: Upgrade to 2.4.3 has hiccup
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 01:05:51 -0500
On Saturday 04 January 2003 18:42, Jon LaBadie wrote:

>> Jon> Perhaps it is an added extra check that that should have
>> been in Jon> 2.4.2.  Extra checking is not a bad thing.
>> Jon> The file is not necessary.
>>
>> I really liked how it behaved in 2.4.2. You told Amanda to tell
>> gnu-tar to use an exclude file. Amanda didn't care if the
>> exclude file was there or not, and actually gnu-tar didn't care
>> very much either. Gnu-tar emits a warning that the exclude file
>> doesn't exist, and so it won't use it.
>
>I'm surprised at your observations.
>gnutar on my system terminates with an error if the exclude file
> is missing.
>
>OPPS, ran some tests last evening and assumed -- never assume --
>that the error message, error exit status, and very fast
> completion meant it did not do the tar dump.
>
>Just checked again.  Turns out it does.
>
>Sorry for the mis-information.

Jon, I wonder if that was one of the things adjusted in how tar
works between 1.13-19 and 1.13.-25 because I can recall in the
earlier days haveing it exit without generating the tarfile, and
that was the reason at the time.  Whenever it gained the ability to
have a .exclude file in a local directory to be skipped seems to be
about the right time frame to me.  OTOH, I don't have either hand
anywhere near a bible, so take it for what its worth, possibly
nothing.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M