Amanda-Users

Re: Strange dumps - "file changed as we read it"

2003-01-04 19:35:56
Subject: Re: Strange dumps - "file changed as we read it"
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "C. Bensend" <benny AT bennyvision DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:45:51 -0500
On Saturday 04 January 2003 14:15, C. Bensend wrote:
>Hey folks,
>
>       I'm having an odd problem with one of my backup clients.
>Every single night (I back up nightly), one particular partition
>ends up with a "STRANGE" report, saying that a file (pick a file,
>any file) has changed while it was being read.
>
>The stats:
>
>Client:                OpenBSD 3.2-STABLE
>Server:                OpenBSD 3.2-STABLE
>Amanda:                2.4.2p2 from OpenBSD ports tree, -STABLE branch
>Partition:     /mp3, accessible via Samba for my local LAN,
>               mode 0775
>
>       This partition, obviously, holds my MP3's for my listening
>pleasure.  I've gone to an awful lot of work to rip and encode
> these things, so I'd like to make sure they're backed up.  I'm
> just having a hard time figuring out why, on this particular
> partition, every night a "file changed while it was being read."
>
>       Could this be Samba?  The timestamps on said files aren't
>changing.  Last night, the file that "changed" wasn't even being
>accessed - I didn't even have a Windows machine on the LAN!  And
>before you ask, no other machine was accessing it either.  :)
>
>       Thoughts?  While this is just a minor annoyance, it pains me
>to not understand why this is happening.  I'd appreciate any help
>you folks could give me.
>
>Benny

I've been told, and have repeated here, that the mtimes of a file
are not supported by samba because they are not supported by the
underlying (usually vfat) file system.  So apparently, some dummy
value gets plugged into that field, and if it changes, you get the
message.

If this is not the correct explanation, somebody jump in and bail me
out here please.

In a roundabout way, this also explains why a samba share will often
get a level 1 that looks like a level 0 sizewise.  I also have one
non-samba, small dos partition for holding bios flash images and
such, and it gets a full every night, apparently for this same
reason.  Minor detail in that case as its less than 20 megs.

This to me, if its all true, is the one major achilles heel of
samba.

I keep my music on an ext3 partition :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M