Amanda-Users

Re: amandad: dgram_recv: timeout

2003-01-03 11:08:43
Subject: Re: amandad: dgram_recv: timeout
From: David Raistrick <drais AT wow.atlasta DOT net>
To: "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hps AT intermeta DOT de>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 07:29:20 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> >Examples from the dump report:
> >  newww.gta. / lev 0 FAILED [Request to newww.gta.com timed out.]
> >  bento.gta. / lev 0 FAILED [Request to bento.gta.com timed out.]
>
> Do you have a firewall between you and the servers? Maybe a SonicWall?

I do have a firewall between my amanda server and the newww client.  It's
not a sonicwall, though.  (I work for the company that develops the
firewall I use.)

I found the problem with newww...I changed the primary IP address of the
client (to .31), but the backup server was accessing it via the
now-aliased address (of .19).

The virtual-crack that the firewall opened only allowed replies from the
destination address.  The client was replying from the new IP address
instead of the address the requests came in on.

In this case, I now have two servers running vrrpd.  I only want to backup
the server that currently has the .19 address.  I'd like to be able to
tell the amanda client to bind to the .19 address, instead of the primary
address (.31).

I've not come up with a way to do this yet.

...david

(ps: good luck with sonicwall. Ug.)

---
david raistrick