Amanda-Users

Re: Gnutar and permission == skipped files?

2003-01-02 11:27:27
Subject: Re: Gnutar and permission == skipped files?
From: Scott Lambert <scott AT inch DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:51:33 -0500
On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 11:58:27AM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> I'm using Amanda on a mixed network of Linux and FreeBSD machines.  The
> default installation of Amanda on FreeBSD defines --with-user=operator and
> --with-group=operator .  It occurs to me that I have many files that aren't
> world-readable.  Can tar backup these files?  Wouldn't it be running as
> operator and not root?
>
> My disk devices are owned by operator, so using dump instead of tar should
> catch everything, but I'd been persuaded that dump is bad for backing up
> live filesystems on Linux and FreeBSD.  Have I migrated away from that
> utility at the expense of skipping the non-world-readble files on my system,
> many of which are the most important files on my network?

-r-sr-x---  1 root      operator   18028 Dec 19 17:58 runtar

Note the "s" in the permissions...

--
Scott Lambert           KC5MLE           System Administrator

Attention Customers:
  Refer-A-Friend and receive one month of service for free!
  For further details, please visit: http://inch.com/refer-a-friend/
  or, call the Internet Channel billing department at (212) 243-5200.