Amanda-Users

Re: Gnutar and permission == skipped files?

2003-01-02 11:19:16
Subject: Re: Gnutar and permission == skipped files?
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 16:32:45 +0100
Hi,

Kirk Strauser schrieb:
I'm using Amanda on a mixed network of Linux and FreeBSD machines.  The
default installation of Amanda on FreeBSD defines --with-user=operator and
--with-group=operator .  It occurs to me that I have many files that aren't
world-readable.  Can tar backup these files?  Wouldn't it be running as
operator and not root?

to avoid these permision-problems amanda uses runtar which is setuid-root.
as a result tar is running as root, not operator.
this is one of the reasons why "make install" for amanda has to be done as root.
So you won't have to worry, amanda will catch all your files with tar
Christoph

My disk devices are owned by operator, so using dump instead of tar should
catch everything, but I'd been persuaded that dump is bad for backing up
live filesystems on Linux and FreeBSD.  Have I migrated away from that
utility at the expense of skipping the non-world-readble files on my system,
many of which are the most important files on my network?