Amanda-Users

Gnutar and permission == skipped files?

2003-01-02 10:26:20
Subject: Gnutar and permission == skipped files?
From: Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 01 Jan 2003 11:58:27 -0600
I'm using Amanda on a mixed network of Linux and FreeBSD machines.  The
default installation of Amanda on FreeBSD defines --with-user=operator and
--with-group=operator .  It occurs to me that I have many files that aren't
world-readable.  Can tar backup these files?  Wouldn't it be running as
operator and not root?

My disk devices are owned by operator, so using dump instead of tar should
catch everything, but I'd been persuaded that dump is bad for backing up
live filesystems on Linux and FreeBSD.  Have I migrated away from that
utility at the expense of skipping the non-world-readble files on my system,
many of which are the most important files on my network?
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.