Amanda-Users

Re: backup to big for tape

2003-01-02 11:22:30
Subject: Re: backup to big for tape
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Axel Haenssen" <axel AT princeton DOT edu>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:43:04 -0500
On Wednesday 01 January 2003 10:41, Axel Haenssen wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>I am trying to back up a couple of bigger partitions on my Beowulf
> cluster. Some of these Partitions are bigger than the tapes. But
> that shouldn't work anyway shouldn't it????
>I am attaching the mailreport for clarification.
>How do I get it to back up the big partitions on the nodes???

Break them up into subdir entries that are smaller than a tape in
your disklist.  This BTW only works for Tar, not dump as dump does
whole filesystems only.

My whole /usr is handled this way because its a bit more than 40
gigs & I have only DDS2 tapes.  Works great, and seems to give
amanda a much better chance at achieving "balance" because she can
juggle the schedules for the individual entry much easier.

Also, when doing this, check the individual dirsize with du, and
only add about half a tapes worth of new entries each run until you
have them all covered.  That way amanda can merge the new entries
into the schedule gracefully without overflowing a single tape
which might occur if you added them all on the same day.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M