Amanda-Users

Re: incremental backup !!

2002-11-27 10:19:43
Subject: Re: incremental backup !!
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Nitesh Kumar A." <nitesh AT hamsadvani.serc.iisc.ernet DOT in>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:27:06 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 at 10:11am, Nitesh Kumar A. wrote

> Since level 1 backups everything since the last backup, that is level 0,
> we will get replication of files (redundancy) irrespective of whether the
> files are modified or not in the subsequent backups on the rest of the
> days. In the sense on saturday, we will get files, a, b, c, d and e too.
>
> So tuesday: a, b
> wed: a, b, c
> thu: a, b, c, d and so on. (irrespective of whether the files are
> modified or not. this will result in redundancy).
>
> is there some mechanism to minimize it? y waste the tape.. .

It's not a waste when you go to do a full restore, and only need two tapes
rather than the whole weeks worth.

> so when will the tape drive1 get a chance to be overwritten? do we need to
> relabel it again?

Once you've used 'tapecycle' worth of tapes, amanda will start asking for
the already used tapes.  Don't relabel.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering