Amanda-Users

Re: incremental backup !!

2002-11-26 09:42:53
Subject: Re: incremental backup !!
From: "Nitesh Kumar A." <nitesh AT hamsadvani.serc.iisc.ernet DOT in>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:30:22 +0530 (IST)
Hai Joshua:

I am really excited to know more about AMANDA now.

What I understand is that, first amanda will take a level 0 backup (full
backup) and then for the following days, it will take level 1.

If suppose, amanda takes level 0 on sunday and then level 1, with respect
to 0 on mon/tue/wed/thu/fri/sat.

Now I have files named a, b, c, d, e, etc on my filesystem. I have the
full backup on sunday.

File "a" is modified on monday, so the level 1 backup on monday will just
have file "a".

File "b" is modified on tuesday, so the backup on tuesday will have just
file "b" but not file "a" due to just level 1 backup.

File "c" and file "a" are modified on wednesday, so that day's backup will
have files "a" and "c".

At some point of time, if I want to backup all the files, then I have to
contact all the tape drives. Is this the case? Or will amanda tell me on
which tape drives are these files located? How do I search for a
particular file in the backup?

So if just file "a" is written into the tape drive1, how can we use the
rest of the space on the tapedrive1?

Guess, these might be too trivial, but .. .

Regards,
Nitesh