Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR not found on my system

2002-11-26 18:25:00
Subject: Re: GNUTAR not found on my system
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:37:51 -0500
On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:23:56PM -0800, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:

> Dear amanda wizards;
>
> I've just installed the amanda client on a Solaris 9 machine,
> and tried to set up the backup of the partitions. However,
> that just doesn't happen. The server writes in the report:
>
> >FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >  tony       /tmp lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /tmp in tony response]
> >  tony       /var lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /var in tony response]
> >  tony       /usr lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /usr in tony response]
> >  tony       / lev 0 FAILED [missing result for / in tony response]
>
> That's for the four mounts I'm trying to tar.
>
> OK. So I go to the debug messages on client, in /tmp/amanda and here's
> what I see:
>
> >amandad: time 0.006: bsd security: remote host backup1.coloc.net user
> >operator local user amanda
> >amandad: time 0.006: amandahosts security check passed
> >amandad: time 0.006: running service "/usr/local/amanda/libexec/sendsize"
> >calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
> >calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
> >calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
> >calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
>
> I tried to look this up in the provided documentation & forums,
> but found nothing. What could be causing the problem?
>
> Here's my configuration:
>
> ******* Server: *******
>
> amandad: version 2.4.2p2
> built on SunOS 5.6 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10
>
> relevant records in amanda.conf:
>
> define dumptype root-tar {
>    global
>    program "GNUTAR"
>    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
>    compress none
>    exclude list "/usr/local/amanda242/exclude.gtar"
>    priority low
> }
>
> define dumptype comp-root-tar {
>    root-tar
>    comment "Root partitions with compression"
>    compress client fast
> }
>
> relevant records in disklist:
>
> tony                            /               comp-root-tar
> tony                            /usr            comp-root-tar
> tony                            /var            comp-root-tar
> tony                            /tmp            comp-root-tar
>
> ******* Client *******
>
> amandad: build: VERSION="Amanda-2.4.3"
> built on SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
>
> CONFIGURE_COMMAND="'./configure' '--with-user=amanda'
> '--with-group=operator' '--prefix=/usr/local/amanda' '--without-ser
> ver' '--with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar'"
>
> tar (GNU tar) 1.13
> is installed in /usr/local/

I hope you mean /usr/local/bin !
And the machine you have gnutar installed on is "tony" right?

Unrelated, replace that tar.  It WILL cause grief in the future.
I'm guessing you got that from SunFreeWare.com and is an older version
that has a defect making it incompatible with amanda.  It should report
as 1.13.19 or 1.13.25.

It seems like despite your configure command listing, the compile
did not know the location of gnutar.  Perhaps you repeated the
configure command after running it once without the --with-gnutar option.
Some previous configure information might have been cached and not
rexamined the final time you did configure.

I'd suggest you do a "make distclean" to get rid of every built component
and the cache, followed by your configure, build, and reinstall.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)