Amanda-Users

GNUTAR not found on my system

2002-11-26 16:03:43
Subject: GNUTAR not found on my system
From: Ivan Zaigralin <ivanz AT ie-sys DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:23:56 -0800

Dear amanda wizards;

I've just installed the amanda client on a Solaris 9 machine,
and tried to set up the backup of the partitions. However,
that just doesn't happen. The server writes in the report:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  tony       /tmp lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /tmp in tony response]
  tony       /var lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /var in tony response]
  tony       /usr lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /usr in tony response]
  tony       / lev 0 FAILED [missing result for / in tony response]

That's for the four mounts I'm trying to tar.

OK. So I go to the debug messages on client, in /tmp/amanda and here's
what I see:

amandad: time 0.006: bsd security: remote host backup1.coloc.net user operator
local user amanda
amandad: time 0.006: amandahosts security check passed
amandad: time 0.006: running service "/usr/local/amanda/libexec/sendsize"
calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
calcsize: gnutar not available on this system

I tried to look this up in the provided documentation & forums,
but found nothing. What could be causing the problem?

Here's my configuration:

******* Server: *******

amandad: version 2.4.2p2
built on SunOS 5.6 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

relevant records in amanda.conf:

define dumptype root-tar {
   global
   program "GNUTAR"
   comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
   compress none
   exclude list "/usr/local/amanda242/exclude.gtar"
   priority low
}

define dumptype comp-root-tar {
   root-tar
   comment "Root partitions with compression"
   compress client fast
}

relevant records in disklist:

tony                            /               comp-root-tar
tony                            /usr            comp-root-tar
tony                            /var            comp-root-tar
tony                            /tmp            comp-root-tar

******* Client *******

amandad: build: VERSION="Amanda-2.4.3"
built on SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

CONFIGURE_COMMAND="'./configure' '--with-user=amanda' '--with-group=operator'
'--prefix=/usr/local/amanda' '--without-ser
ver' '--with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar'"

tar (GNU tar) 1.13
is installed in /usr/local/

gzip (I don't know if it's needed) came with OS and can be found in
/usr/bin/gzip

Thank you so much for your time.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ivan