Amanda-Users

Re: GNUTAR not found on my system

2002-11-26 18:24:44
Subject: Re: GNUTAR not found on my system
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:39:45 -0600
--On Tuesday, November 26, 2002 21:55:43 +0000 Niall O Broin <niall AT
magicgoeshere DOT com> wrote:

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 20:23, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:

> calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
> calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
> calcsize: gnutar not available on this system
> calcsize: gnutar not available on this system

I tried to look this up in the provided documentation & forums,
but found nothing. What could be causing the problem?

Absolute and total stab in the dark here, but perhaps gnutar is not available
on this system ? If that is indeed the case, then backing up using tar is
going to be rather difficult. If gnutar is available on the system, then you
need to investigate why amanda isn't finding it - is it not in a standard
location ?

Whether it is in a standard location or not really shouldn't matter, it is
whether
it is where Amanda thinks it should be (the path compiled into it).  Also make
sure that your backup user has permissions to execute it.  One unrelated thing
to check before doing real backups is to verify that your version of tar doesn't
have the bug that creates corrupted index files ( < 1.13.19, I think.  I thought
that would be in the FOM but I couldn't find it if it was).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com