Amanda-Users

Re: incremental backup !!

2002-11-26 11:59:31
Subject: Re: incremental backup !!
From: "C. Chan" <cchan AT surya.bsd.uchicago DOT edu>
To: "Richard B. Tilley (Brad)" <rtilley AT vt DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:26:33 -0600 (CST)
Also Sprach Richard B. Tilley (Brad):

> On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 05:13, Nitesh Kumar A. wrote:

> > I need one full backup on the 1st day of every month. And then from sunday
> > to saturday through the entire month, I need to take incremental
> > backup. How do I take it? I mean incremental backup from the 1st day of
> > every month to the last day of the month.
>
> Why not just do a level 0 each time amanda runs? The below options in
> your amanda.conf file will force amanda to do a full backup each time.
> So on a restore, you only need one tape.
>
> dumpcycle 0
> runspercycle 1
> tapecycle THE_NUMBER_OF_TAPES_THAT_YOU_HAVE

That's fine if there is enough tape to do lev 0 dumps of all his
filesystems every night or if it doesn't matter if the filesystems
are static and it doesn't matter if a restore is not up to date.
But if neither is true then you need lev 1 incrementals to keep
the restores current without eating up lots of tape. Lev 1's are
also easier to restore than a full dump. With a file that changes
a lot, e.g. a source code tree, you can usually go to the latest
incremental and not have to wade through a potentially much larger
lev 0.

If you have lots of holding disk space you can dump everything
to holding disk, then just write lev 0's to tape. Keep the lev 1's
on disk until the end of the week, then flush the end of week lev 1's
to tape and delete the others.

----
C. Chan <c-chan AT uchicago DOT edu>
GPG Public Key  ( pgp.mit.edu | finger cchan AT vader.bsd.uchicago DOT edu )
"Lif is laene: eal sceaceth, leoht ond lif samod"