Amanda-Users

Re: /dev/ch0: Permission denied ?? *update

2002-11-18 02:08:36
Subject: Re: /dev/ch0: Permission denied ?? *update
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Kevin F. La Barre" <klabarre AT infidati DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 01:28:44 -0500
On Monday 18 November 2002 00:32, Kevin F. La Barre wrote:
>>I just chown'd all amanda related files to root:operator to
>> basically verify that this problem was truely a permissions
>> issue and things actually work.  Now I have to find out what
>> exactly is causing the perms issues when I run things as the
>> amanda user.
>
>-Kevin

While I've never used the operator group (I use the group disk for
that), one should be aware that its often required to go back into
the config dir, or one level up from it, and do as root, a command
that resembles this one for my system:

chown -R amanda:disk *

which if you do it, and assuming you are currrently cd'd to say
/usr/local/etc/amanda, will recursively set everything in the
amanda directory and all directories deeper than that, to the
user:group specified.  I've had editors change the owner back to
root when updateing a file, and boom, instant problem.

You may have to execute it more than once while you are fine-tuning
the configuration, and probably should do it once again when its
all working just to catch the stragglers.  FWIW, vim doesn't seem
to do that, kwrite often does.

To re-emphasize the docs, amanda should be unpacked, configured and
made as user amanda, only doing an 'su -'  to root to do the make
install.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M