Amanda-Users

Re: /dev/ch0: Permission denied ??

2002-11-17 02:08:28
Subject: Re: /dev/ch0: Permission denied ??
From: "Kevin F. La Barre" <klabarre AT infidati DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:33:01 -0800
Hello Jon,

Please let me know if I miss something here.  Comments/answers within...

At 01:01 AM 11/17/2002 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:01:22PM -0800, Kevin F. La Barre wrote:
> Here's an interesting one.. using Amanda 2.4.3 on FreeBSD 4.5 with a
> Quantum 2500xt DLT 5 tape changer.  Amanda is setup to run as user amanda
> and group operator.  chio seems to work fine as I can move tapes around,
> get the status, etc.  Trying to amlabel however is unsuccessful as user
> amanda as the system returns a permissions error:
>
> > amlabel bu1 BU100 slot 0
> amlabel: could not load slot "0": open: /dev/ch0: Permission denied
>

> Running chg-scsi directly has a similar effect:
>
> > /usr/local/libexec/chg-scsi -slot 0
> chg-scsi: open: /dev/ch0: Permission denied
> <none> open: /dev/ch0: Permission denied
>
> Any ideas?  /dev/ch0 has the following perms:
>
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator   17,   0 Sep 18  2001 /dev/ch0
>

> I'm practically out of ideas and I've already been messing with this all
> day.  I'm hoping I'm just tired an overlooked something simple.  Thanks in
> advance. -Kevin

Hoping it is just the "machine is not plugged in" simple, let me ask this.

You say "amanda is setup ...".  By that I assume you mean the software.

Yes, when I installed Amanda 2.4.3 I specified for it to run as user "amanda" group "operator". Ownership of Amanda 2.4.3's files reflects this as does the .conf files.

But what about the real user amanda.  If you login as amanda and run
the "id" command, are you in group operator?

Logged in as user "amanda":

> id
uid=1009(amanda) gid=5(operator) groups=5(operator)

If so, to rule out device permissions further, does amlabel work when
either of the following is true:

1. /dev/ch0 is set to permissions 666.
2. amlabel is group operator and setgid (permissions 2755).

I ran amlabel before and after both 1 and 2 above.  All return the same thing:

> amlabel bu1 BU100 slot 0
amlabel: could not load slot "0": open: /dev/ch0: Permission denied

-Kevin

http://www.infidati.com --  Infidati, Inc. (408) 281-7542