Amanda-Users

remote site, no changer

2002-11-18 03:30:10
Subject: remote site, no changer
From: Charles Sprickman <spork AT fasttrackmonkey DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:51:08 -0500 (EST)
Hello,

I've started hacking up an amanda.conf file, and as I'm reading, I'm
getting worried.  It seems that amanda wants a new tape every day if I'm
doing daily backups.  This presents a problem.  I have a single 70GB
drive, no changer, and the systems being backed up are at a remote
location.  At most I can have someone there once a week to change tapes.

Capacity is not a problem; there will be less than a few hundred MB of
change per day, and an initial full dump of all 11 machines should come in
under 5-10GB.  So the tape doesn't "need" to be changed out because it's
getting full...

I know this is not optimal, but there's no budget for an AIT changer at
this time (they look to be around $5-$8K - the drive was $500)...

Thanks,

Charles