Amanda-Users

Re: /dev/ch0: Permission denied ??

2002-11-17 23:40:52
Subject: Re: /dev/ch0: Permission denied ??
From: "Kevin F. La Barre" <klabarre AT infidati DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:17:56 -0800
At 10:04 AM 11/17/2002 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 17 November 2002 04:00, Kevin F. La Barre wrote:
>>Never used chio so I looked at the source and found this comment:
>>
>># The changer being used is a n tape juke, that can be used with
>> 1, n-1 or n # tapes in the juke. The special slot is slot n. The
>> script does not # make assumptions about the number of slots,
>> except that the special slot # is the highest number. The slot
>> is special in the sense that it contains the # the only tape if
>> the juke contains 1 tape and contains no tape if the juke #
>> contains n-1 tapes.
>>
>>Is there any chance you don't have the required number of tapes
>> in the juke, completely full
>>    full minus one with last slot empty
>>    1 tape only, and in the last, not first slot?
>>
>>According to the comment those are the only valid configs.
>
>Interesting.  The juke is full, all 5 tape slots are occupied.
> chio does work if I run it directly.  I can change tapes, etc.  I
> only seem to run into problems when I do anything through the am*
> files.

>> > I ran amlabel before and after both 1 and 2 above.  All return
>> > the same
>> >
>> > thing:
>> >
>> > amlabel: could not load slot "0": open: /dev/ch0: Permission
>> > denied
>>
>>That says to me that the permission denied message is misleading
>> and the problem has nothing to do with the permissions on
>> /dev/ch0.
>>
>>Do you have a separate device for read/write?  Permission probs
>> there?
>
>Just the tape device itself, nsa0.  Perms for that seem fine and I
> haven't changed them:
>
>crw-rw----  4 root  operator   14,   1 Nov 16 12:06 nsa0
>
>>Is the write protect tab on the tape correctly set :)
>
>Heh, unfortunately the Permission denied error comes up right
> after I tap the enter key.  It doesn't even have time to check
> the tape hardware.  Write protect tabs are correctly set though.
>
>I'm not sure if it's important or not but as "amanda" user I can
> use chio to operate the robot to change tapes etc.  Which seems
> like /dev/ch0 is being read.  I don't think that moving tapes
> around touches /dev/nsa0 since that's the tape itself.
>
>All this above is using chg-scsi which is what I'd like to do.  If
> I use chg-multi however, which doesn't use chio nor /dev/ch0, I
> *can* write labels with amlabel.  It sounds like /dev/nsa0 is OK
> since I can write to the tape and chio is OK since I can use it
> directly, but something with ch0 is not so OK.  Either that or
> maybe something with amanda (the software) when it's using the
> chg-scsi stuff.
>
>Kevin

Do you have whatever would control the boot time scsi bus scanning
set to 'scan all luns'?

It looks like all luns are being scanned. Here's a snip from the startup logs. It's finding sa0 which is the tape drive itself on id 2 lun 0 and the robot portion on id 2 lun 1.

I also just uninstalled amanda, recompiled, then reinstalled to no avail. I'm using the same config files however.

sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
sa0: <DEC TZ885 CC34> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ch0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 2 lun 1
ch0: <DEC TZ Media Changer CC34> Removable Changer SCSI-2 device
ch0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
ch0: 5 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker, 0 portals

Kevin

http://www.infidati.com --  Infidati, Inc. (408) 281-7542