Amanda-Users

Re: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration

2002-11-12 19:27:20
Subject: Re: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration
From: "Carl D. Blake" <carl AT boeckeler DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 12 Nov 2002 16:58:38 -0700
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 14:43, mcguire AT cs.utexas DOT edu wrote:

> "Carl D. Blake" <carl AT boeckeler DOT com> wrote:
>  >On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 10:56, mcguire AT cs.utexas DOT edu wrote:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> "Carl D. Blake" <carl AT boeckeler DOT com> wrote:
>  >>  >I'm trying to setup an AMANDA backup system with the following
>  >>  >characteristics:
>  >>  >        Full backup every Wednesday on a different weekly tape
>  >>  >        Differential backup on Thurday, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday
>  >>  >        Full backup on the last Wednesday of each month which is then
>  >>  >                archived for a year.
>  >>
>  >> Comments or suggestions?  You are trying to swim upstream.
>  >>
>  >> Tommy McGuire
>  >Could you explain what you mean by this?  What is a better way to handle
>  >this?  I would prefer to use amanda the way it was meant to be used
>  >rather than try to force her into some peculiar mode.
>
> Amanda is really very good at set-it-and-forget-it backups: you tell it
> what you want to back up, how often you want a full backup, and how many
> tapes to use.  It figures out when to do what level of backup to spread
> out your backups across the schedule.
>
> For example, we have two configurations.  The daily config, which is run
> 6 nights per week, is set to do a full backup of each filesystem every
> two weeks, incrementals in between, and to update the equivalent of
> /etc/dumpdates with when it does what level.  The archive config, which
> runs once a week, doesn't do incremental backups, doesn't record what
> it does, and does a full backup of each filesystem once a month.  This
> configuration is very similar to what is described above except that
> it doesn't mention what day of the week or month things are supposed to
> happen.

This sounds similar to what I want to do with our backups.  I've been
trying to get used to the idea of not knowing when a full backup or an
incremental backup occurs.  This is why I was asking for comments and
suggestions.

> Do I know what level the daily config is doing for a particular
> filesystem on a given day?  Not really.  Do I know what week a
> particular filesystem will get archived?  Nope.  Do I care?  No.  When
> we have to restore something, Amanda tells us what tapes to get it off
> of.  What does it get us?  Back before Amanda, when we had a schedule
> somewhat like that above, the archive run once a month was taking
> between two and three days.  Some of the dailys wanted several tapes
> and others less than half of one.  This was a while back; that kind of
> config wouldn't work for us at all now.
>
> When you try to tell Amanda to do a full backup every Wednesday, or to
> do a full backup of everything the last Wednesday of the month, you are
> trying to manually do something that Amanda was designed to automate.
> You're not using Amanda's power and you're going have to do perverted
> things to the configuration to get it to work at all, which it probably
> won't.  You are swimming upstream, and it would be easier to write your
> own backup scripts to follow your schedule.  If you need Amanda's power,
> you have to let it handle the scheduling.

I would prefer to let amanda handle the scheduling.  I'm just having
trouble figuring out a reasonable configuration where I can get weekly
full backups as well as monthly (or every 4 weeks) full backups that I
can archive for a year.

You mention that your archive config runs once a week and does monthly
backups for each filesystem.  Is that configuration something like:
        dumpcycle 0
        runspercycle 4
        tapecycle 52
where dumpcycle 0 tells amanda to perform full backups every time,
runspercycle 4 tells amanda to put the full backups on 4 tapes, and
tapecycle 52 provides enough tapes for a year?

Also, how many tapes do you use for your daily config?  Is it enough to
cover an entire month?

--
Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering