Amanda-Users

Re: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration

2002-11-12 16:10:24
Subject: Re: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration
From: "Carl D. Blake" <carl AT boeckeler DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 12 Nov 2002 13:36:54 -0700
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 11:59, Jay Lessert wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:29:08AM -0700, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> [clip]
> > this kind of arrangement you can restore within a day for the previous
> > week, within a week for the previous month, and within a month for the
> > previous year.
>
> Carl,
>
> If this is your goal, and you want to use Amanda, I would suggest
> this:
>
> config "daily", run 5X/week:
>     - dumpcycle 7 days
>     - runspercycle 5
>     - tapecycle 25
>     - index yes
>     - record yes
>     - strategy normal
>
> config "monthly", run 1X/month
>     - dumpcycle 0
>     - runspercycle 1
>     - tapecycle 12
>     - index yes
>     - record no
>     - strategy noinc
>
> This gets you within a day for 5 weeks, and within a month for 1 year,
> using 37 tapes.  It will "just work", with very little effort on your
> part, because there are Amanda users all over the world doing something
> *very* close this.
>
> Note that I've freely mixed dumptype and non-dumptype parameters here
> for brevity, you'll be more careful, of course.  :-)
>
> Once you get over the extra tapes (hey, 37 > 20, but << 80!) and get
> used to the idea that Amanda will do your daily fulls when *she* wants
> (not when you want), you'll like it.  Trust me.  :-)

This doesn't sound too bad.  My only question is how would I run the
monthly config.  Would I just pick a day in the month on which I would
run "amdump monthly" instead of "amdump daily"?  If so, would that cause
the daily dumps to get offset by one day?  Does this even matter?

Thanks for your help.
--
Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering