Amanda-Users

Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration

2002-11-08 12:25:17
Subject: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration
From: "Carl D. Blake" <carl AT boeckeler DOT com>
Date: 08 Nov 2002 09:54:46 -0700
I'm trying to setup an AMANDA backup system with the following
characteristics:
        Full backup every Wednesday on a different weekly tape
        Differential backup on Thurday, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday
        Full backup on the last Wednesday of each month which is then
                archived for a year.

So far I've setup a Weekly configuration with runspercycle set to 0,
dumpcycle set to 0, and tapecycle set to 7.  record is set to yes so
that differentials run on a daily basis will have a date that the last
full backup was done on.

I have a Monthly configuration with runspercycle set to 0, dumpcycle set
to 0, and tapecycle set to 14.  Again, record is set to yes for the sake
of the daily differentials.

The Daily configuration is runspercycle set to 4, dumpcycle set to 1
weeks, and tapecycle set to 7.

I have cron setup to run "amdump Daily" on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday,
and Friday; "amdump Weekly" on Wednesday for the first 3 (or 4) weeks of
the month; and "amdump Monthly" on the last Wednesday of the month.

Does this sound like my configuration will do what I want?  Or do I have
something really messed up?  Any comments or suggestions would be
appreciated.
--
Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering