Amanda-Users

Re: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration

2002-11-12 14:03:59
Subject: Re: Requesting comments on a possible amanda configuration
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:28:10 -0500
On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:29:08AM -0700, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 10:29, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:54:46AM -0700, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> >
> > This is an "i don't know, but consider this" type of comment.
> >
> > How would you do a recovery?
> >
> > amrecover requires a config and your Daily config knows nothing
> > about the level 0 backup except their dates.  It seems to me that
> > it will not know what tape you need to load to get the level 0
> > starting point.
> >
> This is a good point.  It looks like I would have to "know" which config
> to use to get a particular file.  In other words I would have to know
> that a file changed since the last full backup and use the last Daily
> tape rather than getting the file from the last full backup.  However,
> for a complete disaster recovery you almost always restore the last full
> backup tape first and then do the last difference (level 1) tape.

BTW I forgot,
amand will not do an incremental until a level 0 is done for that config.
So I don't think your dailies could be just incrementals.  Again, maybe,
just maybe, with merged info/index files.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)