Amanda-Users

Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...

2002-09-27 00:03:11
Subject: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...
From: Guy Waugh <gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:48:20 +1000
Hi there,

I've been trying to get amanda 2.4.2p2 to back up the host that amanda is running on (Redhat 6.2, amanda built from source using egcs RPMs), and I can't seem to get it going. Amanda on this server happily backs up five other boxes (also RH6.2), but won't back up itself. If I do an amcheck, it comes back and says that everything's fine (i.e. it can check itself). One of the other five boxes used to be the amanda server (2.4.1p1), and it could happily back this server up, and itself.

I created a special config called 'db1-only' (db1 is the name of the backup server), and when I run amanda with this config (amdump db1-only), I can see the dumper and taper processes start up on db1 and run for some time, and also a gzip process. The results email says the following (below) but I did notice the amanda process, and the gzip process, still running after I had received this email:

These dumps were to tape ci_normal_0037.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
db1 /exports lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
db1 /var lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
db1 /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
db1 /usr lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
db1 / lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]

STATISTICS:
Total Full Daily
-------- -------- --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min) 1:30
Run Time (hrs:min) 1:30
Dump Time (hrs:min) 0:00 0:00 0:00
Output Size (meg) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Original Size (meg) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%) -- -- --
Filesystems Dumped 0 0 0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s) -- -- --
Tape Time (hrs:min) 0:00 0:00 0:00
Tape Size (meg) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Tape Used (%) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Filesystems Taped 0 0 0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s) -- -- --
NOTES:
planner: Adding new disk db1:/.
planner: Adding new disk db1:/usr/local.
planner: Adding new disk db1:/var.
planner: Adding new disk db1:/exports.
driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
taper: tape ci_normal_0037 kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
DUMP SUMMARY:
DUMPER STATS TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME DISK L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS KB/s MMM:SS KB/s
-------------------------- --------------------------------- ------------
db1 / 0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
db1 /exports 0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
db1 /usr 0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
db1 /usr/local 0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
db1 /var 0 FAILED ---------------------------------------
(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.2p2)

In /tmp/amanda, at the end of the amandad.***.debug file, it says this:

amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, retrying
amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, retrying
amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, retrying
amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, retrying
amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, giving up!
amandad: pid 371 finish time Fri Sep 27 12:48:36 2002

Here's the /etc/inetd.conf lines relating to amanda:
amandaidx stream tcp nowait root.root /usr/local/inst/backup/amanda-2.4.2p2/libexec/amindexd amindexd amidxtape stream tcp nowait root.root /usr/local/inst/backup/amanda-2.4.2p2/libexec/amidxtaped amidxtaped amanda dgram udp wait root.root /usr/local/inst/backup/amanda-2.4.2p2/libexec/amandad amandad

In the 'db1-only' disklist, it says this:
db1     /               root-tar        -1      local
db1     /usr            user-tar        -1      local
db1     /usr/local      user-tar        -1      local
db1     /var            user-tar        -1      local
db1     /exports        user-tar        -1      local

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? Any more info required?

Thanks in advance,
Guy.