Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...

2002-09-27 06:10:47
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Guy Waugh <gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT au>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 05:52:39 -0400
On Friday 27 September 2002 00:40, Guy Waugh wrote:
>At 11:27 PM 26/09/02 -0500, you wrote:
>>--On Friday, September 27, 2002 13:48:20 +1000 Guy Waugh
>>
>><gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT au> wrote:
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I've been trying to get amanda 2.4.2p2 to back up the host
>> > that amanda
>>
>> is running on...
>
><snip>
>
>>Shouldn't these processes be started as your backup user and not
>> root?
>
>Hi Frank,
>
>I compiled amanda using '--with-user=root' and
> '--with-group=root', so it should be OK...?

Thats not normally ok.  Amanda should be built as amanda, and it
should be a member of group disk or backup which will have
sufficient perms to do what amanda needs to do.

There is code in several pieces of amanda that will cause an exit if
it finds its running as root, it does its own suid when it needs
to.

>>Did you HUP inetd after changing inetd.conf?
>
>Yes, I even stopped and started it just in case...
>
>>Is your .amandahosts file in the right place and does it have the
>> correct ownership/permissions?
>
>I compiled it using '--without-amandahosts', so I'm using .rhosts,
> and I can rsh to the machine from the machine successfully...
>
>>Also, are you running ipchains/iptables/tcpwrappers or something
>> else that might be blocking connections?
>
>Al Horn suggested that it sounded to him like a network or
> loopback problem, and it does look like that... I've checked
> ipchains and tcpwrappers, and they aren't blocking anything...

Well, the disklist really should contain its own name as a FQDN,
"localhost" will come back and bite you at some point.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M