Amanda-Users

Re: disk-to-disk backups

2002-09-27 00:19:22
Subject: Re: disk-to-disk backups
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org>
To: Terri Eads <eads AT rap.ucar DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:01:54 +0200
On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 01:18:53PM -0600, Terri Eads wrote:

> We're considering doing our backups to raid systems
> now instead of to tape libraries. Does anyone have
> any positive or negative comments or experiences
> with the scenario that they are willing to share?
>
> (and is this even possible with amanda?)

Yes it is possible.
I use it at home with the "file" driver in Amanda 2.4.3
(but only because my backend is a dvd recorder instead of tape)

I would recommend rsync as an alternative.
In my company we are using rsync to backup to a branch office.
There are scripts keeping older versions of a file and tracking all changes
under http://rsync.samba.org/examples.html

We also run a standard Amanda configuration in our office.

Two _different_ ways of backup are very nice because
if one breaks, you still have the other one.
Rsyncing our main file server gives us the possibility to switch
file service to the branch office in case of emergency.

OTOH i have seen so many RAID systems going bit heaven. I always want some
offsite stored media.

  Ciao
     Dietmar

--
 Alles Gute / best wishes
     Dietmar Goldbeck         E-Mail: dietmar.goldbeck AT schotterweg DOT de