Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...

2002-09-27 00:39:56
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Guy Waugh <gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT au>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:27:21 -0500
--On Friday, September 27, 2002 13:48:20 +1000 Guy Waugh <gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT
au> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying to get amanda 2.4.2p2 to back up the host that amanda is
> running on (Redhat 6.2, amanda built from source using egcs RPMs), and I
> can't seem to get it going. Amanda on this server happily backs up five other
> boxes (also RH6.2), but
> won't back up itself. If I do an amcheck, it comes back and says that
> everything's fine (i.e. it can check itself). One of the other five boxes
> used to be the amanda server (2.4.1p1), and it could happily back this server
> up, and itself.
>
> I created a special config called 'db1-only' (db1 is the name of the backup
> server), and when I run amanda with this config (amdump db1-only), I can see
> the dumper and taper processes start up on db1 and run for some time, and
> also a gzip process. The
> results email says the following (below) but I did notice the amanda process,
> and the gzip process, still running after I had received this email:
>
> These dumps were to tape ci_normal_0037.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> db1 /exports lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
> db1 /var lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
> db1 /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
> db1 /usr lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
> db1 / lev 0 FAILED [Request to db1 timed out.]
>
> driver: WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
>
> In /tmp/amanda, at the end of the amandad.***.debug file, it says this:
>
> amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
> amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, retrying
> amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
> amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, retrying
> amandad: dgram_recv: recvfrom() failed: Connection refused
> amandad: waiting for ack: Connection refused, giving up!
> amandad: pid 371 finish time Fri Sep 27 12:48:36 2002
>
> Here's the /etc/inetd.conf lines relating to amanda:
> amandaidx       stream  tcp     nowait  root.root
> /usr/local/inst/backup/amanda-2.4.2p2/libexec/amindexd amindexd
> amidxtape       stream  tcp     nowait  root.root
> /usr/local/inst/backup/amanda-2.4.2p2/libexec/amidxtaped        amidxtaped
> amanda         dgram   udp     wait    root.root
> /usr/local/inst/backup/amanda-2.4.2p2/libexec/amandad   amandad

Shouldn't these processes be started as your backup user and not root?
Did you HUP inetd after changing inetd.conf?
Is your .amandahosts file in the right place and does it have the correct
ownership/permissions?
Also, are you running ipchains/iptables/tcpwrappers or something else
that might be blocking connections?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com