Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...

2002-09-27 00:51:28
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.4.2p2 won't backup the backup server...
From: Guy Waugh <gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:40:18 +1000
At 11:27 PM 26/09/02 -0500, you wrote:
--On Friday, September 27, 2002 13:48:20 +1000 Guy Waugh <gwaugh AT scu.edu DOT au> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been trying to get amanda 2.4.2p2 to back up the host that amanda is running on...

<snip>

Shouldn't these processes be started as your backup user and not root?
Hi Frank,

I compiled amanda using '--with-user=root' and '--with-group=root', so it should be OK...?

Did you HUP inetd after changing inetd.conf?

Yes, I even stopped and started it just in case...

Is your .amandahosts file in the right place and does it have the correct
ownership/permissions?

I compiled it using '--without-amandahosts', so I'm using .rhosts, and I can rsh to the machine from the machine successfully...

Also, are you running ipchains/iptables/tcpwrappers or something else
that might be blocking connections?

Al Horn suggested that it sounded to him like a network or loopback problem, and it does look like that... I've checked ipchains and tcpwrappers, and they aren't blocking anything...

Cheers,
Guy.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com