Amanda-Users

Re: comments about amanda packages requested

2002-09-26 15:22:38
Subject: Re: comments about amanda packages requested
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: <ahall AT secureworks DOT net>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:06:06 -0400
On Thursday 26 September 2002 14:18, ahall AT secureworks DOT net wrote:

>I am of the firm opinion that packages should never have config
> files that are named the same as the default config file.
> Meaning, this pkg would not contain the file
> /usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf but
> /usr/local/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf.example or something
> like that.  This insures that the package will never overwrite an
> existing config file.
>

>Drew

And here is another user who is in violent agreement with that
theory.  If a .conf file exists and an update overwrites what it
took me many hours to figure out, I have this almost
un-controllable urge to strangle somebody, or even load up Bertha
and go hunting.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M