Amanda-Users

Re: comments about amanda packages requested

2002-09-26 12:10:59
Subject: Re: comments about amanda packages requested
From: "John P. Looney" <valen AT tuatha DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 26 Sep 2002 16:46:58 +0100
On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 16:04, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I've never installed and used amanda from a pre-built package.
> Thus I'm not familiar with the needs and problems creating and
> using such a package entail.
>
> Sun Freeware is a quasi official and supported Sun site for
> distributing compiled freeware for solaris.  Current their list
> includes a pretty old version of amanda for Sparc systems only.
>
> I have the ear of the site maintainer and think I can influence
> what goes into the amanda package.  But I need some suggestions.

 I've just spent the last week battling with amanda from the Solaris 2.6
package. Loads of wierd errors, loads of things not working. In part,
because of my ... reckless attempts at fixing the situation (the last
one, that took me ages to find was that I'd chown'd a load of setuid
files to root - and then amanda couldn't run them, as I'd chgrp'd them
to root, not amanda.

 After fixing this, the package still didn't work, so I broke down in
tears, and installed from sources. Worked like a treat, first time. All
I did to get everything working was run:

 configure --with-user=amanda --with-group=amanda
 make install

 It worked fine like that. I'd not bother with example configs, bar
those installed by the source. Amanda does need a little thinking (I've
learned the hard way) and pain and suffering will ensue if people just
copy & paste from existing configs instead of reading the docs.

John