Amanda-Users

Re: comments about amanda packages requested

2002-09-26 14:13:30
Subject: Re: comments about amanda packages requested
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT rateintegration DOT com>
To: "John P. Looney" <valen AT tuatha DOT org>
Date: 26 Sep 2002 13:53:10 -0400
Hi, John, and everyone else,

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 11:46, John P. Looney wrote:

>  I've just spent the last week battling with amanda from the Solaris 2.6
> package. Loads of wierd errors, loads of things not working. In part,
> because of my ... reckless attempts at fixing the situation (the last
> one, that took me ages to find was that I'd chown'd a load of setuid
> files to root - and then amanda couldn't run them, as I'd chgrp'd them
> to root, not amanda.

Gee... that sounds like my first experience with amanda in ths spring of
'98.  We were running a mix of Solaris 2.4-2.5 and BSDi.

>  It worked fine like that. I'd not bother with example configs, bar
> those installed by the source. Amanda does need a little thinking (I've
> learned the hard way) and pain and suffering will ensue if people just
> copy & paste from existing configs instead of reading the docs.

I respectfully disagree.  I am a visual learner.  Once I see an example
the instructions click in my head.  Then I can create my own.  The
examples, though, are hugely helpful to me.  The ones provided with
RedHat were really good.

Regards,
Cait