Amanda-Users

Re: comments about amanda packages requested

2002-09-26 12:03:55
Subject: Re: comments about amanda packages requested
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT rateintegration DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: 26 Sep 2002 11:42:57 -0400
Hi, Jon,

> I've never installed and used amanda from a pre-built package.

I have on a Red Hat Linux system, but I also administer a lot of Solaris
and AIX boxes.  I compiled amanda myself on Solaris, and an up-to-date
package that automated a lot of the steps I had to go through would be a
real time saver.

> - amanda 2.4.3 official release is imminent, use that as the base
>   when it is released

Definitely.  I always try to use the latest stable release.

> - the current package does not chown root, and setuid the several
>   necessary programs, this should be done during installation

Yes.  Anything that would have to be done manually to get amanda to run
properly should be scripted in.

> - what config options should be used?

Ideally there should be two packages -- a full build and client-only.

For server I use:
 --with-user=amanda\
        --with-group=amanda\ (Solaris/AIX) or --with-group=disk\ (Linux)
        --with-configdir=/etc/amanda\
        --with-config=DailySet1\
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar\
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0\
        --with-amandahosts

For the client I use:

./configure \
        --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=amanda \ (or group=disk as above)
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-config=DailySet1 \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar \
        --with-tape-server=myserver.mydomain.com \
        --with-configdir=/etc/amanda \
        --without-server \
        --with-index-server=myserver.mydomain.com

> - should tapetype be precompiled too?

Err... no.  A sample amanda.conf should be provided with examples.

> - how does a package handle the "defaults" like tape device, ...

It doesn't.  You still manually edit the amanda.conf file.

> - should an amanda specific user and backup group be created by
>   the installation, which names?

Either amanda/amanda or else just create the amanda user.  (Disk is a
default group in RH Linux and many other distros.)

> - should a default amanda configuration directory, with example
>   conf files be installed

Yep.

> - any other thoughts or war stories appreciated

The packages included in Red Hat Linux are excellent.  My answers are
based on what Red Hat was kind enough to provide.

Regards,
Cait