Amanda-Users

Re: Weird permission problem running amdump

2002-09-19 19:42:24
Subject: Re: Weird permission problem running amdump
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT rateintegration DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:30:10 -0500
--On Thursday, September 19, 2002 17:15:41 -0400 "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT
rateintegration DOT com> wrote:

Hi, everyone,

OK, I admit it.  amanda is kicking my you-know-what.

amdump is failing because it's unable to write it's index files.  Why?
From the errors it looks like a permissions problem, but the directory
is owned by amanda and right now I've got everything opened up to chmod
777.  There error messages I'm getting look like:

pip        /users5 lev 0 FAILED [err create
/home/amanda/DailySet1/index/pip/_users5/20020919_0.gz.tmp: Permission
denied]

This is amanda 2.4.2p2 running on Red Hat 7.3.94 (null/RH8 beta).

OK, I'm still doing something simple and stupid wrong.  Any clues what
that might be?

Thanks,
Caity

My guess is that the permission problem is higher up. Try
su - amanda
and then try to cd down the directory structure.  The index,
pip, and _users5 directories should be created automatically
during the backup run.  As the amanda user, see if you can
create a file in /home/amanda/DailySet1/. If not, verify that
amanda owns /home/amanda/ and everything below it.
 If /home/amanda is mounted from a remote server, make sure
amanda can write to it.
 Chances are you set it up as root and some or all of the
files and directories are still owned by root with hostile
permissions.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                            fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                                 Voice: 512-374-4673