Amanda-Users

Re: Weird permission problem running amdump

2002-09-20 10:17:56
Subject: Re: Weird permission problem running amdump
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT rateintegration DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: 20 Sep 2002 10:02:32 -0400
Hi, Frank, and everyone else.

> My guess is that the permission problem is higher up. Try
> su - amanda
> and then try to cd down the directory structure.  The index,
> pip, and _users5 directories should be created automatically
> during the backup run.  As the amanda user, see if you can
> create a file in /home/amanda/DailySet1/.

Yep, no problem.

> If not, verify that
> amanda owns /home/amanda/ and everything below it.

I did a chown -R amanda:disk on /home/amanda early on.  amanda owns
everything.

>   If /home/amanda is mounted from a remote server, make sure
> amanda can write to it.

It's not.  It's local.

>   Chances are you set it up as root and some or all of the
> files and directories are still owned by root with hostile
> permissions.

That was the first thing that came to my mind.  I'm going to redo
everything from scratch today and see if things turn out better.

Regards,
Caitems Administrator                                 Voice:
512-374-4673