Amanda-Users

Re: gtar wrapper script (was SAP R/3 backup with amanda)

2002-09-19 11:21:21
Subject: Re: gtar wrapper script (was SAP R/3 backup with amanda)
From: Amon Ott <aott AT lisa DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:10:29 +0200
On Thursday, 19. September 2002 14:06, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 19 September 2002 03:48, Amon Ott wrote:
> >However, there is some strange Amanda 2.4.3b4 behaviour in
> > amrecover: If you try to restore with an Amanda compilation (e.g.
> > on another system), which had another --with-gnutar= value to
> > configure, it just fails with an error that e.g. restore of
> > /usr/local/sbin/tar-wrapper and the following exec failed.
> >
> >To me it seems that the GNUTAR backup type is not recognized, so
> > amrecover assumes UNKNOWN and tries a string comparison to find
> > the correct restore program instead of using the compiled path.
>
> Have you tried sneakernetting the right version of gnutar to the
> machine, and putting it in the same place as it was configured for?

Sure, I have put the tar-wrapper whereever it might be looked for. But it
only worked, if amrecover was compiled with the same GNUTAR path as on the
original client.

Looking into the amrecover code showed that a detected GNUTAR backup would
lead to the tar compiled into amrecover, so I assumed that the recognition of
this backup type failed.

> Versions of gnutar before 1.13-19 are also likely suspects, and most
> are using 1.13-25 now.

Even a copy of original tar to the other location did not work.

Amon.

--
Amon Ott
LISA systems