Amanda-Users

Re: Hostname lookups[continued]

2002-09-19 11:11:50
Subject: Re: Hostname lookups[continued]
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Mozzi <linux AT mostert.nom DOT za>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:00:56 -0400
On Thursday 19 September 2002 08:57, Mozzi wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>k 5.020 seconds
>
>>>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>>>--------------------------------
>>>ERROR: <my host>: [addr 192.168.2.215: hostname lookup failed]
>>>Client check: 1 host checked in 0.028 seconds, 1 problem found
>>>----------------------------------------------------------------
>>>-- ---------------------------- The ip addy it gives back is
>>> wrong.[192.168.2.215] should be 192.168.2.208 I added the
>>> ip/hostname in my /etc/hosts file
>>>I also double checked my dns forward and reverse lookups and all
>>>is well there.
>>
>> How about the entry in .amandahosts?
>
>Now I get this
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>ERROR: <client1.domain.com>:
>[<backuphost.domain.com>.84.25.196.in-addr.arpa: hostname lookup
> failed] ERROR: <client2.domain.com>:
>[<backuphost.domain.com>.84.25.196.in-addr.arpa: hostname lookup
> failed] Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.036 seconds, 2
> problems found

Now you've got me a bit puzzled, mainly because I only see 3 of the
4 numbers of the IP address in the reports above.  And not having
seen this error, I can't state that its odd or normal.  Also, my
debug logs don't seem to contain this info either, sorry.

>When I do a reverse lookup for the backuphost from the backuphost
> and from both the clients I get the correct response
>Also for both the clients
># host <ip addy>
>So my os (Linux) is doing correct resolving and reverse lookups.
>
>The entry's on my named server have also been checked.
>
>My .amandahosts files on the clients and backuphost are checked
> and correct. Allowing the clients in as root on backuphost and
> backuphost in as amanda on clients
>I have tried putting the clients in the /etc/hosts file and taken
> them out I have checked my /tmp/amanda files
>And done searches in the mail archives and the faq o matic
>
>All hosts are on the same subnet on the same (cisco)switch
>
>Have I missed something ?
>Still stumped

Thats not too bad if the stump came equipt with a jug of good clear
lightning. :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M