Amanda-Users

Re: gtar wrapper script (was SAP R/3 backup with amanda)

2002-09-19 04:07:18
Subject: Re: gtar wrapper script (was SAP R/3 backup with amanda)
From: Amon Ott <aott AT lisa DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:48:32 +0200
On Tuesday, 10. September 2002 09:43, Amon Ott wrote:
> On Monday, 9. September 2002 18:00, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:10:30AM -0400, Bort, Paul wrote:
> > > There is a tar-wrapper script for people who don't have GNUTar or need
> do
> > > something non-tar, like dumping a database. Search the amanda-users list
> > > archives for it. It works with 2.4.x.
> >
> > I have attached the script to which I think Paul refers.
> >
> > I saved it last January but never checked it out.
> > Don't ask me if or how it works,
>
> Thank you - I will have a closer look and probably adapt and test it
tomorrow.

The tar wrapper script seems to work fine now, thank you.

However, there is some strange Amanda 2.4.3b4 behaviour in amrecover: If you
try to restore with an Amanda compilation (e.g. on another system), which had
another --with-gnutar= value to configure, it just fails with an error that
e.g. restore of /usr/local/sbin/tar-wrapper and the following exec failed.

To me it seems that the GNUTAR backup type is not recognized, so amrecover
assumes UNKNOWN and tries a string comparison to find the correct restore
program instead of using the compiled path.

--
Amon Ott
LISA systems