Amanda-Users

Re: SAP R/3 backup with amanda

2002-09-09 06:56:57
Subject: Re: SAP R/3 backup with amanda
From: Hauke Fath <hf AT tangro DOT de>
To: Amon Ott <aott AT lisa DOT de>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:31:16 +0200
Am 09.09.2002 um 9:51 Uhr +0200 schrub Amon Ott:
I am currently investigating how to backup SAP R/3 systems on Oracle / Linux
with amanda. So far I have found no reference, any experience with it?

The "how to" depends on what you mean by backing up an R/3 system.

o The R/3 binaries are "business as usual", as are the inactive database logfiles.

o To back up the active database log files, you'd need to pause the database.

o To back up the database (content) itself, you'd either need to have the database dump its content to a holding disk, and back up that; or, you'd need to adapt the database backup utility to Amanda (replacing dump/restore/tar).

If nobody started such a solution, there might be a way how we could develop
and maintain one. An official SAP certification is sure difficult, but not
completely impossible.

AFAICS, Amanda "out of the box" does not support pre-/post-backup triggers ("stop database before backup and start it when finished"), nor does it support adapting a database specific backup tool.

The 2.5 line may have some support for this.

        hauke

--
         Hauke Fath                      /~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
tangro software components GmbH          \ /    No HTML/RTF in email