Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Re: Tape DDS-3 values

2002-09-15 11:03:45
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Re: Tape DDS-3 values
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Jason Thomas <jason AT topic.com DOT au>, Amanada-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:48:30 -0400
On Sunday 15 September 2002 08:41, Jason Thomas wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 02:54:02AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Just for grins & giggles, what controller?  I ask because on
>> this list, one controller in particular has developed a bad
>> reputation vis-a-vis tape drives, but works just fine with disks
>> most of the time.  On the sane list, its also been noted as not
>> too good with scanners.  Its the adaptec aha-1540 or 42 card
>> family I'm talking about.  If thats not what you've got, maybe
>> we can add another controller to our personal black-list.
>>
>> BTW, will it repeat that error at the same place on the same
>> tape again?
>
>no It changes all the time!
>
>00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/W

Ok, thats a wide (68 pin, not 80 pin, 80's are marked UW on the end
I think) controller.  Chances are pretty good the tape is a 50 pin
scsi-2 interface.  Assuming you are using some sort of an adaptor
to go from 68 to 50, and that this adaptor properly terminates the
upper 18 lines.  For the adaptor's terminations to function
properly, it must have term power available on pin 26 of the cable.
A minumum of 4.7 volts after the steering diode thats supposed to
be on the 2940.

How close am I with the guessing so far?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M