Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Re: Tape DDS-3 values

2002-09-15 03:26:23
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Re: Tape DDS-3 values
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Jason Thomas <jason AT topic.com DOT au>, Amanada-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:54:02 -0400
On Sunday 15 September 2002 00:46, Jason Thomas wrote:
>On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 11:25:30PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> So far, if the terms are ok and all that, I'm beginning to think
>> either that tape brand is a bit flaky, or that your drive is
>> thinking seriously of dieing for good, worn head or some such.
>> If its the tape, I'd think the error would repeat at the same
>> place on another run against the same tape, rather than moving
>> around randomly.
>>
>> I assume that you have a cleaning tape, and that it has been
>> used recently, just to see if it effected the error rate one way
>> or the other.  Running the cleaning tape on a head thats about
>> fini will often make the errors worse, sometimes very quickly.
>> Any SWAG as to how many actual tape running hours might be on
>> it?
>
>no idea how many hours on the drive. we've had it for about 2
> years. and it runs everyday. but these problems have been around
> since new. and the drive was purchased to replace one with the
> same problems. although the new one is slightly better.

Just for grins & giggles, what controller?  I ask because on this
list, one controller in particular has developed a bad reputation
vis-a-vis tape drives, but works just fine with disks most of the
time.  On the sane list, its also been noted as not too good with
scanners.  Its the adaptec aha-1540 or 42 card family I'm talking
about.  If thats not what you've got, maybe we can add another
controller to our personal black-list.

BTW, will it repeat that error at the same place on the same tape
again?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M