Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] Re: Tape DDS-3 values

2002-09-14 00:09:22
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] Re: Tape DDS-3 values
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:00:20 -0500
Good drives and tapes rarely have errors.  If you are getting
frequent tape errors you should investigate why; your tapes
and/or drives could be in need of cleaning/repair/replacement.
  Since failing drives and tapes don't get better, just worse,
you will be continually adding more workarounds (shorter backup
cycles, duplicate backups, duplicating data on your systems,
archiving in error-tolerant formats, etc.) and still always
live in fear of having to attempt a restore.  I've been there,
done that, and its certainly no fun.
  If your company won't pay to repair or replace whatever it
takes, and you don't have any other employment options at the
moment (I know times are tough in IT), be sure to document your
problems, send memos, add it to your reports, so when (not if)
you are unable to restore critical data due to tape errors you
won't be the one escorted out the door.

Frank

--On Saturday, September 14, 2002 13:16:10 +1000 Jason Thomas <jason AT

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com