Amanda-Users

Re: Tape DDS-3 values

2002-09-13 13:35:00
Subject: Re: Tape DDS-3 values
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:14:46 +0100
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 10:25:29AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Is it a real, or theoretical, problem?  I.e. has anybody experienced bit
> errors
> in a gzip'ed document?  For me the incidence is low enough that I don't feel a
> need to use bzip2 for that extra protection.  The value of your data may lead
> to a different conclusion.

I brought this up and it's not theoretical - I've had problems with gzipped
tar files coming back off tapes. I definitely have problems with my tape
drive but as mentioned, such errors in a tar file would only have caused
problems with some files - with the gzipped tar file, you're done for once
you hit an error.

Regards,

Niall  O Broin